Thank goodness for hostels! Before travelling we had wondered if we were too old to use these, but nothing of the kind.
After spending time in hotels or motels you become desperate for a home cooked meal and a chat to fellow travellers. And this is what you get in spades at hostels.
Equipped with fantastic kitchens and sometimes lounges, they are usually very clean, and lights are out between 11pm and 7am, so you get good sleep. We would use them all the time but they are often fully booked and some just have dormitories.
Prices have not always been that cheap; we get the impression those of us booking private rooms effectively subsidise those in the dormitories.
Here are some thoughts about how to get the most of hostelling:
- Website Hostelworld is brilliant for planning ahead and online booking. Get the app on your smartphone
- Book city hostels in advance, especially for weekends
- Don’t be put off by the communal showers and toilets
- Cook early in the evenings before the kitchen gets full!
- If you are prepared to accept dormitories you can save lots of money!
This is one of our occasional tips for middle aged gap year travellers. To see the others, click below on the link – Travel Tips